Ok, so recently I have been configuring the SharePoint 2016 connector with Microsoft Identity Manager 2016. MIM replaces FIM 2010 R2 for SharePoint profile synchronisation with AD and/or other providers (it also does a bunch of other stuff but I’m focusing on Sync only here). In SharePoint 2016, you can still your the embedded AD sync function if you like, but remember that is uni-directional (pull from AD) only. In my case, I need to push some properties set in the SP profiles into AD as well.
To save you some time, here are some tips for getting MIM syncing SharePoint profiles:
Use the PnP provided toolkit BUT make an update to the ps module file. You need to update lines 81 and 82. And don’t forget to reload the module after making the changes.
if ($MimPowerShellModuleAssembly.VersionInfo.ProductMajorPart -eq 4 -and
$MimPowerShellModuleAssembly.VersionInfo.ProductMinorPart -eq 4 -and
$MimPowerShellModuleAssembly.VersionInfo.ProductBuildPart -ge 1237)
Write-Verbose “Sufficient MIM PowerShell version detected (>= 4.4.1237): $($MimPowerShellModuleAssembly.VersionInfo.ProductVersion)”
This is a pretty good blog to follow for setting up the whole process:
Now, if for any reason the hookup fails (using these tools), you need to get a fresh copy of the ADMA files (XML) before re-running. Else you are going to get errors like: The property ‘name’ cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists and can be set.
This is a good post that explains it: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/33816.error-during-the-installation-of-sharepoint-server-configuration-file-user-profile-service-mim.aspx
Make sure you understand the basics about MIM before you begin, namely what the Metaverse and Connector Spaces refers to and the difference between Import, Sync and Export.
I found this error while testing a search result source in a ported SharePoint 2013 site (to SharePoint 2016): Search has encountered a problem that prevents results from being returned. If the issue persists, please contact your administrator.
When I looked through the ULS there was a number of errors relating to the result source’s query. The issue, of course, was that I hadn’t reset the search index and done a full crawl since migrating and upgrading the content database.
In my case, I was using PowerShell to create a bunch of links to folders on a file-share in a SharePoint list. I came across errors when I used the 2010 method in 2013. Below I have provided examples of each method:
$urlValue = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldUrlValue("")
$urlValue.Description = "This is an awesome description"
$urlValue.Url = "http://MyUrl.com"
$item["URL"] = $urlValue
$newItem = $list.Items.Add()
$newItem["URL"] = "$urlString , $descriptionString"
$newItem["Comments"] = $descriptionString
After creating a SharePoint 2013 Wiki library, the quick launch navigation under Updated Pages reports “an error has occurred on the server.” When you click on the Updated Pages link it displays the error: Invalid index. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070585).
This error occurs when there is no index column in your Wiki list. To fix it, add a column for indexing:
Library Settings -> Index Columns: Create a new Index on the ‘Modified’ column.
There you have it. The problem should now be solved.
I was seeing this error when trying to check in a document after completing the required metadata in Word (via DIP). I found this post claiming the issue was due to the content type of the document containing a managed metadata field. Although that sounded far fetched, I ended up following the workaround instructions and adding a new managed metadata field directly to my library (Test with one term- test). I then deleted the field, and suddenly I could check my document in! Weird.
I also saw this error when I used the Specify default content feature of Document Sets – automatically creating a number of documents from templates, within a new set. I could not complete the metadata and check those documents in. When I turned off check in/out on the library, I could no longer get to the DIP properties in Word. The only way to set the document metadata was to use the edit form in SharePoint. I never got around this issue. If anyone has an ideas, please let me know.
There are a few circumstances under which you may come across this error :
We’re having a problem opening this location in File Explorer. Add this web site to your Trusted Sites list and try again
Here I will provide a solution for one of those – You are trying to open a SharePoint document library in explorer view while on the SharePoint server.
There is an excellent post here that provides a detailed description of the problem and solution, but to summarise, you need to install the Desktop Experience feature under User Interfaces and Infrastructure on the server.
If you attempt to execute a PowerShell script on the SharePoint server and see : “Script cannot loaded. The file is not digitally signed. The script will not be executed on the system” or “… the execution of the script is disabled on the system…”
It means you either need to :
Sign the script OR
Set the PowerShell execution policy to allow you to execute unsigned scripts, e.g.
powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -file C:\script.ps1
If you want to make changes to a PowerShell script but you are always prompted to save as a new version, the file may be locked. Right click the script file and select Properties. Ensure the Read-Only checkbox is unchecked. If there is a Unblock button next to the Read Only property, click Unblock.